Temporary Permits and Visa Renewal

If you are a foreign national who is currently in Canada on a temporary permit or visa, you may be wondering how to extend your stay or renew your status.
A temporary permit or visa is a document that allows you to enter and stay in Canada for a specific period of time and for a specific purpose, such as tourism, study, work, or family reunification. Depending on the type of permit or visa you have, you may need to apply for a renewal before it expires if you want to continue your stay in Canada.
The process and requirements for applying for a temporary permit or visa renewal service in Canada vary depending on the type of permit or visa you have and your current situation. However, some general steps and tips are:

  • Check the expiry date of your current permit or visa and apply for a renewal at least 30 days before it expires. You can find the expiry date on your document or on the online portal of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • Determine the type of renewal service you need. You can either apply online or by mail, depending on your eligibility and preference. You can also choose to apply for an extension of your current permit or visa, or change the conditions or category of your permit or visa, such as switching from a visitor visa to a study permit.
  • Gather the required documents and fees for your application. You will need to provide proof of your identity, status, purpose, and financial ability to stay in Canada. You will also need to pay the application fee and biometrics fee (if applicable).
  • Submit your application and wait for a decision. You can check the status of your application online or by contacting IRCC. The processing time may vary depending on the type and complexity of your application and the volume of applications received by IRCC.
  • Maintain your legal status in Canada while waiting for a decision. As long as you apply for a renewal before your current permit or visa expires, you can stay in Canada under implied status until you receive a decision. However, you must follow the conditions of your current permit or visa until you receive a new one.